How To Choose The Best Tropical Cyclone (Hurricane) Shutters For Your Home
Hurricanes can be devastating if your home isn’t properly protected, and with research showing that South Carolina is set for stronger, longer storms in the future, you need to make sure your home is now more than ever safe.
From the damage that the impact of glass shattering in your home can cause, through to the destruction caused by the wind and water, the gap will let in, there are many ways that a hurricane can destroy your home. This could cause thousands of dollars worth of damage, meaning it’s worth investing in protective measures.
One of the best ways to protect your home is to add hurricane shutters to the outside of your windows. These robust products can keep your windows safe during even the strongest of storms.
Our team of custom window and shutter providers understands how important it is to have resilient shutters to keep your house safe during a hurricane.
Check out our list of tips to help you choose the perfect set of hurricane shutters to keep your home and loved ones secure.
Research The Types Of Shutters On Offer
Shutters protect your home and windows from storm damage, and they also give your home character. You need to choose a set that will give you the protection you need and the look you want.
These are the most popular types of shutters on the market and their key features:
- Accordion Shutters: As the name suggests, these creative shutters are crinkled in the shape of an accordion. They’re straightforward to use- all you have to do is push them along the track, and they will open and close. When shut, Accordion Shutters provide strong protection against storms.
- Bahama Shutters: One of our most popular products is Bahama Shutters. Inspired by the shutters often found in the Caribbean, these durable solutions look great and protect your home. Muhler has a selection of custom Bahama Shutters constructed of either fiberglass or aluminum extrusions and can be upgraded to provide hurricane-level protection.
- Louvered Colonial Shutters: These distinctive, paneled shutters give a touch of old-fashioned class to your home whilst also giving you protection and privacy. You can choose purely decorative or protective Louvered Colonial Shutters, meaning you can adjust the level of protection you want and still get a unique, chic aesthetic for your home.
- Raised Panel Shutters: Another panel style of shutters, this product gives your home a classic look and the protection it needs to keep you and your family safe. They come in a range of colors and materials, making them perfect for modern or historic homes.
- Roller Shutters: A functional product that provides strong protection and a practical look to your home, Roller Shutters, is popular with various homeowners. Our range of Roller Shutters has been built to withstand 140 mph hurricane-force winds while at the same time protecting the opening from wind-driven, airborne debris. They can be made from various materials, including stainless steel, aluminum, galvanized steel, and plastic, so they’ll be able to provide you with long-lasting protection.
If you’re unsure of what style of shutters will look good on your home, then feel free to contact us, and our team will be happy to advise you.
Learn About The Shutter Hardware On The Market
As well as the style of shutters you want, you also need to check out the range of shutter hardware on offer.
At Muhler, we offer two main styles of hardware to keep your shutters secured:
- Shutter Bolts: We offer functional shutter bolts that look good on different shutter types. These quality products are made from stainless steel that’s been black powder-coated to give them a unique finish.
- Traditional Shutter Hardware: For those who want a more classic look, we also offer a selection of stunningly crafted, stainless steel “S” shaped shutter holdbacks. This scroll-shaped product gives your home a touch of class and comes with a stylish matte black powder coat finish.
Review The Additional Storm Protection Options
Shutters aren’t the only way you can protect your home from a hurricane. Muhler offers a range of storm protection, including our patented Storm Trim™ protection system. We developed the solution ourselves to keep your home safe and enhance the protection provided by your hurricane shutters.
This revolutionary product can be fitted on any window, door, garage door, or even any opening in your home. It can be easily fitted and hidden from sight, meaning that you can enjoy the best possible protection without making huge additions to your home. When you’re having your hurricane shutters installed, speak to our representative to see if Storm Trim could help you give your home added protection.
Have Your Shutters Fitted By Professionals
Once you’ve chosen your shutters and hardware, you need to make sure they’re fitted properly. It can be tempting to fit your shutters yourself, and this might work if you’ve got experience in the construction industry and know how to fit your shutters perfectly to your windows.
For most homeowners, the best way to get your shutters fitted properly is to hire a professional. The team at Muhler has the experience to ensure that your new hurricane shutters fit your home perfectly and enhance its style. Since 1991, we’ve been providing these quality services, so we know exactly how to keep your home safe and to look just the way you like it.
Check If Your Windows Need Replacing
There’s no point in protecting your windows using hurricane shutters, only for the windows to shatter at the first sign of wind. If your windows are poor quality, badly fitted, or just plain old, then consider having them replaced to keep your home safe and looking great.
To Know More About Hurricane Protection Shutters And Windows Contact Us
For nearly 30 years, our team has been providing great quality windows and doors, so we’ll be able to advise you on whether you need new Hurricane windows. We can show you all the options available and help you choose one that will give your home the look and feel you want.
Get in touch on 843.572.9727, or contact us here to find out more about the range of shutters and replacement windows we have to offer.